Gabe is really wrapped up in the excitement of Christmas. He loves to listen to carols on the radio non-stop. And every time Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer comes on - he says, "Listen, Mom, just like the movie!" He points out decorations and is so excited for dusk as that is when the Christmas lights turn on at our house - and in the neighborhood. He says he WANTS everything. But, we remind him that Santa has to visit all the little girls and boys houses on Christmas and he doesn't have room in his bag for more than 1 toy for each child. So Gabe has to tell him what he wants the most - it always goes back to "THE DRILL!" Maybe Christmas magic will come and bring him this most-wanted toy.
My Mom with my Dad in tow, always made Christmas what it was meant to be - Magic. One year - probably through the spirit of Christmas - Santa's boot prints were left on our carpeting. When you are 10 years old and all your friends are telling you that Santa isn't real - then there are boot prints on your stairs, that is PROOF that he is real. I remember almost everything about our Christmas' at home - not the exact gifts - but the exact feelings. Excitement, joy, anticipation, restlessness, happy, warm, delicious, and LOVE. Thanks Mom and Dad - but let's face it - Mom's are the Christmas elves. And Dad's are the warm laps on Christmas eve. Mom's are the ones busy at Christmas - shopping, planning, baking, wrapping, caroling, church-going, Christmasing. Is that a word? It is now. Christmasing.
Remembering that - I have that Christmas candle passed to me now. I am the Mom, the matriarch, the stocking hanger, the tradition holder. That is a lot of power. Everything your child remembers is from your work and careful thoughts and planning during Christmas. I have some large shoes to fill in making Christmas magical for my boys. I hope I can rise to the occasion.
Noah's favorite new spot. He can stand here just staring for 10-15 minutes. We are considering keeping the tree up year-round just to keep him content! Ha!
This is Gabriel on his First Christmas....
Kate,
ReplyDeleteYou have such handsome boys! I think our kids are around the same age. Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Allison Manzer